Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dear Mouse

Dear Mouse,

It was 3 weeks ago tonight at about 10:15 that you arrived at my door. I wasn't expecting you but that was ok. Mary knew me well enough to know that I wouldn't turn you away. You were a tiny wee thing, you looked so funny b/c your eyes and ears were opened and you could walk, but yet you were the size of a newly born kitten. You weighed 130g. I tried to feed you and as hungry as you were it was a fight, Mary in the end was the one who ended up feeding you by syringe that night, drip by drip, and drop by drop. The next morning was very similar except now I was on my own, it took me about an hr to get the smallest amount into you. You also had a vet visit that day who declared you about 2 weeks old...since you have been here 3 now, that makes you now 5 weeks old.

You haven't ever been an easy baby to raise, you fought the bottle and syringe, I didn't think you would live. I was never sure if you would be alive 1 minute to the next. I checked on you constantly just to be sure I could see you breathing. I never knew if that last kiss or snuggle I gave you would be the last bit of love I would give you. I often wondered if you were comfortable and ok and have done everything I can to make sure that you were, I can only hope I have done a good enough job.

Every day, I feed, snuggle, talk to and cuddle. Everyday I hope that there will be an improvement and most days there are. everyday I wake up hoping that the bad eye is open and that you can see the human who loves you. Every feeding, I hope you would take just a bit more, every bed change I wish you would just use the box as easily and readily as other kittens. Everyday I know you are closer to going to a forever home and everytime I think about that I get sad, but excited for you b/c this will truly mean that together you and I did it and you are ready to be a big boy cat. They say that miracles do happen but to believe in them you have to see one...I have seen one in you. I am certain you were not going to make it, that there were just to many issues and that you would only fight for so long. You never gave up and you continue to be the smallest, scrappiest, toughest 5 week old kitten around.

Every morning I set you in the weigh box I hope for HUGE jumps in weight and everyday the past 2 weeks i have seen a gain of some sort. A little gain is better than none and 100x better than even the smallest loss.

I hope when you are done growing up in my house, that you get to finish growing up in another with someone who will love you and care and tend to your needs as much as I do and have. I hope you will continue to grow and I hope that one day down the road, I get an update on the kitten I once called Mouse. An update that says you are doing well, a big boy and a wonderful, loving pet. Many humans could learn from you, I know I have, and I hope many others will.

Your weight this morning was 305g an 11g increase from yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment