Friday, July 1, 2011

uphill but stable

Ok, so I have been slacking off the past 2 days. I will explain.

Monday night a friend I provide daycare called me, her moms dog had puppies on Saturday 7 of them. Sunday the mom quit feeding them, the humans didn't feed the babies either. Monday morning, 3 puppies had passed in the night. They took the bitch to the vet, she had an infection and were told by the vet that the humans would need to handfeed these puppies if they were to survive. They bought formula went home and then decided to NOT feed them and let them die. My friend grabbed the 4 left puppies and called me, asking me to feed them for her, they were pretty dehydrated etc etc...of course I couldn't refuse, these puppies needed someone and it seemed I was it. So she brought me 4 pups, another had passed on its way here. I got them fed and bedded down. 2 more pups died later on that evening, leaving 1 little girl. We named her Sarah, she passed on Wednesday afternoon. SO thats where I have been.

All that being said, there really hasn't been much to report, the 3 bigger kittens are unweighable now due to the inability to stand still for 30 seconds lol. I have been weaning them and they are down to 2 bottles in the daytime, 1 in the morning and 1 just before bed. I will likely drop the first bottle on Monday and see how they do.

They are a feisty group and if I am to be honest I have to say that the 4 kittens I have now have NOT been easy. Sweet and loveable for sure but they have also been very high maintenance. All 4 have been on antibiotics, all have been to the vet, 1 was rushed in after hrs on a Sunday night. But amazingly enough I have 3 healthy kittens that will soon be placed in their next home for socialization with other cats. Sabrina is the ring leader and yesterday she decided to teach the group how to climb over their gate and run amuck in the house. No matter how many times I put them back, they had other ideas...for their own safety they have been put into the dogs kennel, however with their litter box, they only have about a 12 inch by 6 inch space to play and sleep. Thank goodness I am home enough plenty of playtime outside the kennel but they really shouldn't be stuck in it to begin with, But weighing the pros and cons, it's the best, and safest solution for now. I am hoping they will be placed super soon b/c living in a cage isn't fair, nor do they enjoy it one bit. getting out to play will prove harder on Monday when the weekend is over and i have little kids here again, that will be sure to step on them by mistake.

Mouse update ~*~

what can I say about my mouse man, he has been through so much in his few weeks of life, he has already been through more than most adult cats will ever have to deal with. He is a trouper though and is still doing well. After his first gain this week he started to lose weight again just a gram a day but to much for someone who is so little already. Yesterday he did a great job eating, up until then it took me all day to get a tbsp of formula into him, seriously no word of a lie. yesterday he started taking a full tbsp on his own not once but about 3x ...I knew that if I didn't see a gain after that, that he likely had some metabolic issue and probably would pass on much to young. I worried all night, kept waking up to check the clock to see if it was time for his weigh. Finally at 6am, I was fed up with waiting, got up, got him up and weighed him......he DID gain...about 15G since yesterday. OMG you should have seen me doing the happy jog across my kitchen floor, if anyone had seen me I'm sure they would have called the men in the white coats to come retrieve me. It was exciting, I felt the uphill battle I/him have been fighting might finally plateau and we would see nothing but improvements with him. He isn't eating as well today as he did yesterday but he IS still eating quite well. His good eye seems like it may be getting infected, so I am putting drops into it to try and stop whatever is happening to him. The wound on his face at his lip, seems to have also stabilized and doesn't appear to be eating his face any more. All in all things with him are going quite well, I am to nervous to get to hopeful but I still have loads of hope for him. My biggest worry is the attachment I am getting with him, I suppose it shouldn't be a worry just yet as he will be with us for quite some time still but still, I am already thinking about the fact that one day Mary is going to come for him. I would adopt him myself but with the parrot it would be a stupid move on my part.

His weight today was 151G a 15G increase from yesterday and a 21G increase from his first weigh in at my house, the night he arrived....

No comments:

Post a Comment